Friday 17 July 2009

FIRST FEW DAYS

Those first few days after we arrived passed in a blur. I was suffering with jet lag which made me very tired. I couldn't sleep in in the morning and stopping up after 9 at night was impossible. We did manage to get out though and on the first day I went to meet somone I had met through an internet forum which is for expats and people who are going through the visa application process. A few of us had gone on and 'met up' again on Facebook. I had arranged to visit Catherine at her home. Catherine is originally from America and had been living in Australia since last year. Catherine and her family were at the end of their stay as they had a home to sell back in the US. I was a bit apprehensive going to meet her as I am quite a shy person and don't find it easy making new friends, but I knew that once we moved to Australia I was going to have to make more of an effort to get out and meet people. I needn't have worried Catherine was a lovely, friendly person. We had a great chat, a cup of tea and cake. It was a wonderful experience meeting up like that. I hope that we can meet again sometime!

2 comments:

Duni said...

It's always good to know a few people in the country you're moving to. I've moved around countries quite a bit, and it's always daunting in the beginning, especially if you're alone. That's great that you found friendly people via social networks!

Enjoy the rest of your stay!

storybeader said...

that is such a great thing! Glad you took the initiative! {:-D